Laghey Methodist Church, Parish of Killyman, County Tyrone
Transcribed by Jane from the Tyrone Constitution Friday, March 17, 1905.
New Methodist Church Near Dungannon
The new Methodist church at Laghey, Killyman, was on Friday evening opened for divine worship in the presence of a very large congregation. The history of Methodism in the locality dates from the year 1774, when the holding of prayer meetings was commenced, and in the following year , and also in 1785 and 1789, the celebrated Rev. John WESLEY visited Killyman and preached to large congregations. In 1840 the former church was built at Dungorman, but, having for some time been in almost a dangerous condition, the congregation determined to provide a new building in a more suitable situation. The project was warmly taken up by Rev. Henry SHIRE, Dungannon, and the leading members of the Church in Dungannon Circuit, and by their exertions a sum of £800 has been raised in respect of the £1,100, the total cost of the new building. A convenient site at Laghey was generously placed at the disposal of the congregation by Mr. Robert M’ILROY, of Moyroe, and the new church, which is a spacious and beautiful erection of Carland freestone was speedily brought into being by Mr. Wm. BURNETT, Dungannon, the contractor, in a very efficient manner. The architects were Messrs. HOBART & HERON, Dromore, Co. Down. A pretty little vestry has been generously added at a cost of £100 by the Messrs. BRADLEY, New York, in memory of their late father, who was a constant worshipper in the old church.
The opening ceremony took place at four o’clock, p.m., the service being conducted by Rev. Wesley GUARD, Belfast. The hymn “Great is the Lord our God” having been sung, prayer was offered by Rev. H. SHIRE, Dungannon, and a special lesson was read by Rev. Alexander FULLERTON, Dundalk (chairman of Portadown District.) Mr. SHIRE then read a letter from the Earl of Ranfurly, who had intended performing the opening ceremony, but owing to the recent death of Lady Flora Knox and the indisposition of Lady Ranfurly abroad he had been precluded from doing so. Mr. SHIRE then read a statement regarding the building fund of the new church, and bestowed the highest enconiums upon the self-sacrificing spirit displayed by the congregation and friends. The dedicatory sermon was then preached in an eloquent manner by Rev. Wesley GUARD from Luke vii., 5 — “He loveth our nation, and he has built us a synagogue.” A liberal offertory on behalf of the deficit in the building fund was taken up by Captain E.W.M. WALKER, R.A.; and Messrs. W.J. VENABLES, solicitor, Cookstown, John MURPHY, Drumherriff and W.S. JOHNSTON, Dungannon. Prayer was offered by Rev. A.A. CRAWFORD, B.A., Cookstown, and the service terminated.
Tea was afterwards provided in a large marquee in an adjacent field by the ladies of the congregation, and a public meeting was held later in the church, at which addresses were delivered by several prominent speakers.
11 May 1905 Marriage
April 28, at Laghey Methodist Church by the Rev. H. Shire, assisted by the Rev. Ernest W. Young, George M. MARSHALL to Frances, third daughter of Henry GRIMASON, Dungannon