CoTyroneHeadstone_logo (5K)
Click banner to submit/search the Project!

  • Home
  • >>
  • Glaslough Co. Monaghan

Glaslough Co. Monaghan

Transcribed and compiled by Teena from the Belfast Commercial Chronicle, Belfast Newsletter, Enniskillen Chronicle and Erne Packet and the Northern Standard (unless otherwise noted).

Glaslough – Despite losing the closure of the line 1957, Glaslough still remembers its railway well. The recently restored signal cabin can be seen here. Photograph & comment courtesy

10 Nov. 1809 Died
At Tynan, Co. Armagh, on the 20th ult. Miss LESLIE, eldest daughter of the late C. P. LESLIE, Glasslough, County of Monaghan, Esq. (Canterbury Journal)

27 Apr. 1810 – Married
On Thursday April 5 John MURDOCK Esq. Glasslough Co. Monaghan to Esther, eldest daughter of Wm. ANKETELL Esq of Dungillick, in the same County.

1 Dec. 1818 – Married
November 1, George STUART Esq. Captain of the 3rd, or Buffs, to Alicia Inston, only daughter of the late Rev. Henry DUNKIN, rector of Glasslough, County of Monaghan, Ireland. (The Scots Magazine)

3 Nov. 1825 – Daring Outrage
About the hour of nine o’clock on the night of Thursday the 13th inst. some malicious person unknown, set fire, the haggard of James EAKINS Sr. of Glennan, within one mile of Glasslough. The devouring element baffled every exertion and in a few hours consumed the whole concern of this respectable and worthy man, consisting of two large ricks of oats, a large stack of straw, the whole of the mansion-house, together with a valuable lot of timber, turf-stack and a number other useful articles.

22 May 1826 – Married
In Glasslough Church by the Rev. Mr. Pratt, Major ROSS of Liscarney in the County Monaghan to Margaret, eldest daughter of Captain ROSS, of the Monaghan Regiment of Militia.

11 Jul. 1827 – Married
At Glasslough on the 5th inst. by the Rev. William Smith, William COCHRAN Esq. of Leek, to Hannah, second daughter of the late Rev. John M’CURDY.

3 Apr. 1828 Monaghan Assizes

Wm. M’CLELLAND Jr. and James M’CLELLAND Sr. were indicted for the wilful murder of George ARMSTRONG, near Glasslough, on 20th Nov. last.

Samuel GASS examined – Was acquainted with deceased; deceased was in witness’s house the night of 20th November, at 7 o’clock in the evening; deceased was bleeding and greatly disfigured with blood; witness was sitting at the fire, when he heard a shout and after this, deceased came in bleeding; went out again; witness went with him towards home; met Wm. M’CLELLAND one of the prisoners, on the road; deceased asked him for his staff, and M’CLELLAND gave it to him; M’CLELLAND said he would learn deceased manners how to walk the road; deceased afterwards proceeded home. Cross-examined – Saw deceased several times after he got this wound; it was eight weeks before he died.

Several other witnesses being examined the jury retired for a few minutes and returned with a verdict of not guilty on the murder, but guilty of manslaughter. They were each sentenced to 4 months imprisonment.

24 Jun. 1828 – Married
On the 18th inst. by the Rev. Wm. Smith, Mr. Robert M’MINN of Newry to Jane, eldest daughter of the late Mr. James CARGILL of Mullabane, Glasslough.

19 May 1829 – Married
On the 14th inst. in St. Mary’s Church Dublin, by the Rev. W. J. Purdon, William MURDOCH Esq. of Annaroe, Co. Tyrone to Margaret, second daughter of James NIXON Esq. of Glasslough, Co. Monaghan.

13 Apr. 1830 – Inquest at Glasslough

An inquest was holden in Glasslough, on a late hour on Tuesday the 9th before Thomas JOHNSTON and Thomas ANKETELL Esqrs., on the body of Hugh DONLAN, who had died the day previous. It appeared from the testimony of Dr. Richard MAFFATT that the deceased (DONLAN) came to his death in consequence of several contusions of the body, caused by the passing of a cart wheel over his chest, which fractured some of the deceased’s ribs and injured his lungs. The jury found a verdict to the same effect. The circumstances which were disclosed at the inquest appeared to be as follows; On the evening of Monday, the 8th, this unfortunate man had accompanied some persons as far as Glasslough, who were leaving the country for America when an attempt was made by a few individuals, to seize the goods for a trifling debt of about two pounds. The order for seizure having been demanded and none having been produced, the party attempted to proceed, a scuffle ensued about the horse, which unfortunately, terminated in the loss of life.

20 Apr. 1830 – Married
On the 12th inst. in the parish Church of Glenarm, by the Rev. Wm. Woolsley, James ROSS Esq., eldest son Captain ROSS, Glasslough, County Monaghan, to Mary, youngest daughter of George HALLORAN Esq., of Glenarm.

19 Nov. 1831 – Married
On Monday last, Mr. John WILES, Newtownhamilton, to Miss Margaret, third daughter Mr. George WILSON, merchant, of Glasslough.

12 May 1832

I wish to apprise the public and particularly the deluded peasantry of the south, through the columns of your independent and patriotic journal, that William PAUL, on whose body was found the Orange certificate in the County Waterford, was a fellow soldier of mine in the Monaghan. militia from 1809, to the time the regiment was disembodied. He was then known to be an Orangeman. After the regiment was broken up, he continued in the staff at Glaslough. He joined the regiment very young, was bugleman and sometimes drummer to it. He had a honied tongue, with which he would, if possible, flatter the birds off the bushes. I knew no more about him, till the account of his death in the county Waterfurd. He was a native of the town of Monaghan. THOMPSON, HILLOCK and HARMAN, the official names attached to the cerficate, are persons very well known in Monaghan and Glaslough; they have been on the staff of the Monaghan Militia in Glaslough, which always had a lodge of its own, No. 115 independent of the other various lodges with which that village and its vicinity abounds. It is particularly worthy of attention that he was in the receipt of his Majesty’s pension at the time he was said to be instigating his subjects to rebellion.

Before concluding, it is right to mention that a petition to both houses of parliament from this parish, for the total abolition of tithes and vestry laws, is in course of signature and will be shortly forwarded to its proper destination. Had Mr. STANLEY been a witness with what enthusiasm the people were coming forward to affix their names to it; he would still be more convinced, if possible that he could, how willing they are to continue to pay that odious and oppressive impost of tithes and church rates. The people say if their present petitions be not attended to, the next boon they will call for is a repeal of the Union, as they are beginning to think, from some late enactments of an imperial parliament, that it is only in a national and independent one, they may expect fair play and justice. I have the honour to be, Sir, with every respect for your individual services in your country’s cause, your very humble obedient servant, William BUCHANAN. (Freeman’s Journal)

15 Jul. 1850 – Married
July 10, at Glasslough Church, Robert M’KINSTRY Esq., M.D.  fourth son of the late Lee M’KINSTRY Esq., of Armagh, to Elizabeth Anne, second daughter of Henry George JOHNSTON Esq. of Fortjohnston, Co. Monaghan

16 Nov. 1850 – Married
November 8, at Glasslough Church, Robert FORDE Esq. M.D., of Downpatrick, to Anne, second daughter of the late Sidney Hamilton ROWAN Esq., of same place  (Dublin Evening Post)

18 Sept. 1852 – Married
Sept. 9, at Glasslough Church by the Rev. W. S. Evans, Mr John WOODS, merchant, to Mary Jane, the only daughter of Mr. Joseph WRIGHT, merchant, both of Emyvale.

15 Sept. 1854 – Married
Sept. 5, in Glasslough Church by the Rev. W. H. Pratt, Mr. Thomas MAGUIRE, Troy, U.S., to Letitia, second daughter of Mr. Garnet SMYTH, Glasslough.

12 Oct. 1855 – Glasslough Sabbath School

On Tuesday last the annual examination of Sunday School children took place in Glasslough Church. There were between (200?) and 300 of those “little ones” in attendance and they presented, certainly, a very neat and  most respectable appearance. The examination was similar to that held on all such occasions and the reverend gentlemen (Messrs. ANKETELL, BEWLEY and WILLIAMSON) by whom it was conducted seemed highly pleased at the proficiency evinced by the children in scriptural knowledge. There was one mild, pretty child in particular who excited the deepest interest from the readiness and intelligence of her answers to the several questions put to her. Little Tina, who is from eight to ten years of age, lost her eyesight by the small-pox whilst an infant. She received her education from her sisters and is daughter to Mr. SMYTH, post master of this town. We could not help being struck at the exquisite delicacy of touch which enables her to read her bible, the letters of which are not much larger than those of the ordinary family one and but slightly ‘raised’ and to read too with as much ease and correctness as any child of the same age, though blest with the gift of vision. The premiums have not yet been distributed, but we trust our little favorite will, as usual, carry off the very highest one. During the examination, which continued some hours, there were many of the ladies of Glasslough and neighbourhood present.

9 Feb. 1858 – Married
On the 4th instant, in Glasslough Church by the Rev. A. Williamson, vicar of Donagh, assisted by the Rev. Thomas Anketell of Shanco Parsonage, Mr. Joseph FLEMING of Knockconyan, to Margaret, second daughter Mr. Matthew HALL of Toonycoogan.

15 Mar. 1859 – Married
March 11, in Glasslough Church by the Rev. A. Williamson, vicar of Donagh, Mr. Joseph WRIGHT Emyvale, merchant, to Margaret, third daughter of the late Mr. Henry HEASLEY, Killygavnea.

5 Jul. 1862 – Married
Jul. 1st, in Glasslough Church by the father of the bridegroom, assisted by the Rev. Walter Johnston, incumbent of Cushendun, brother of the bride, Joseph J. H. CARSON, second son of the very Rev. Dean of Kilmore, vicar General of the Diocese, to Maria Alicia, youngest daughter of Henry J. JOHNSTON Esq., of Fortjohnston, Co. Monaghan. no cards sent.

13 Sept. 1869 – Married
September 2, at Glasslough Church by the Rev. W. B. Ashe, James GERVIN Esq., Caledon, to Annie, youngest daughter of the the late Mrs. CAMPBELL, Portanaghy Co. Monaghan. (Belfast Newsletter)

11 Nov. 1870 – Married
Nov 9. at St Paul’s, Arran quay, by Dean O’Donuoghoe, <sic> St Mary’s Grayfield, Donnybrook, assisted by the Rev. Father Gibney, Hugh M’QUAID, Glasgow, to Bridget, youngest daughter of the late Joseph M’QUAID Esq, of Glaslough, co Monaghan. (Dublin Evening Post)

2 Mar. 1874 – Died
Feb. 28 at Aughaloughan Glasslough, John CARGILL. His remains will be removed from his late residence for interment in the family burying ground Glennan, this day, (Monday) at 12 o’clock noon. Friends will please accept this intimation.

12 Dec. 1879 – The International Dairy Show

At the International Dairy show held in Dublin on Wednesday last, it is pleasing to know that the judges (Professor SHELDON and Mr. GREENE) have declared that the butter shown by Mr David PATON of Glaslough, County Monaghan, a tenant farmer, which received the prize as the best exhibited, was the nearest approach to perfection yet presented to the public. The judges pronounce the Irish butter to be generally excellent, but they point attention to the fact that it is, in too many instances, overworked by washing and rubbing of the hands, whereby its texture is considerably deteriorated, and its granular qualities distributed. The essentials in butter making they hold, to be cleanliness, temperature, churning before the cream sours, and attention to the minutest details of a well kept dairy. In all these elements Mr PATTON’S <sic> butter appears to participate and in giving him his prizes the judges record their admiration of the manner in which his manufacture is conducted. (Westmeath Guardian)

1 Mar. 1880 Extraordinary Case at Glasslough – Exhumation of a Body. Adjourned Inquest

The adjourned inquest into the circumstances attending the death of Mrs Mary CLARKE, wife of Dr. CLARKE, medical officer for the district of Ballytrain, County Monaghan, was resumed in the school-house, before Dr. REED, coroner for the county. Mr. G.H. SMITH B.L. (instructed by Messr. GIVEN, Aughnacloy and M’MINN, Monaghan), appeared for the next of kin. Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY (instructed by Mr. CORR, Carrickmacross), appeared for Dr. CLARKE and Captain BURKE watched the proceedings on behalf of the Crown.

It will be remembered that the inquest was demanded by the next of kin of the deceased who had been interred on Monday, the 9th instant, at Glasslough and was exhumed on Tuesday last. The greatest interest was manifested in the proceedings owing to the social connection of the parties, both the deceased and Dr. CLARKE being well-known throughout the county. The interest was still further intensified by the length of time that has elapsed since the death of Mrs. CLARKE and which has formed the subject of conversation in the different circles of society throughout the district, from the time the unfortunate occurrence took place. The schoolhouse was crowded during the day.

Ann BOYLE servant to Dr. and Mrs. CLARKE, was the first witness called. She stated that Mrs. CLARKE was in the habit of taking quinine and iron mixed with wine, which she procured out of the surgery in Dr. CLARKE’S house. The surgery was on the ground floor, and was never kept locked. Witness had seen her drinking the quinine. Mr. SMITH – Was it in a powder or a liquid state? Witness – It was in a powder state. – About what quantity of quinine would she take for a dose? Witness – She would take a little on the point of a knife. That occurred two or three times daily. Dr. CLARKE was present on several occasions when she took that dose. Mr. SMITH – Was she confined to her bed on the Monday week previous to her death? Witness – l think she was, but I am not sure. Could you tell if she was vomiting on that day? – l could not. Did she take her meals in the parlour with the Doctor? If up, she would. Was she in her bed on the Tuesday previous to her death? – I cannot remember. She was complaining of her heart and said it was fluttering. She also said that it was gone. She had been complaining of that for the past twelve months. On the Monday before she died she said she was very sick. To the coroner – She did not complain any more on that day than she had done previously. To Mr. SMITH – She was able to come downstairs on that day. Witness could not remember if she was perspiring. The vomiting would sometimes commence at night and at different times during the day. Dr. CLARKE was present on occasions when witness would be called into the room at night. She did not drink anything on that Monday. Witness did not go for any drink. She was in bed all day on Wednesday with the exception of a little while in the evening. She said she was very sick on that day, but witness could not remember if she said where. It was of her heart that she generally complained. Witness thought that she had complained to the doctor about her heart. Mr. SMITH – Was she perspiring? Witness – I don’t think so. Was she complaining of thirst? – Yes. What did she take to allay the thirst? She drank claret and water. Did she complain of thirst from January 1879? – She was always thirsty at night. Did she take the claret when she was taking brandy? – The claret was for a drink at night. She never drank brandy in Dr. CLARKE’S presence. She kept the brandy locked up in a cupboard in her own room. She was not more thirsty on the Monday or Tuesday than she was previous. About twelve o’clock she complained very much of being thirsty and witness asked her what she would take. She replied that she would have nothing until the evening, when she would like a little panado. She also stated that she had slept none on the night before, and she would try and have a sleep then. On the day she died she was throwing her arms about. On that evening, between nine and ten o’clock, she seemed to be better than she was in the morning. About five o’clock she told witness to get a draught from Dr. CLARKE and he gave it to her about seven o’clock Witness heard that she died at eleven o’clock on that night, but she did not see her dying. It was the doctor who went for the CONNOLLYS. Dr. CLARKE, on the evening before his wife died, said that if she would get any worse he would bring in another doctor to see her. She became very ill on that evening, and when he said that he would send for Dr. BURKE she said she would not see him. That was between seven o’clock and nine o’clock. Witness had often heard him saying he would send for Dr. MARTIN or Dr. YOUNG, but she would still say that she did not like the idea of another doctor coming. Witness recollected Dr. YOUNG coming there on one occasion and he dined there. That was during the time that she was complaining of her ill health. Cross-examined –  l was two years in Dr. CLARKE’S employment. I have seen her taking medicine herself out of the surgery. She has also taken laudanum. On the day she died she drank a glass of wine in the morning, She had also some spirits and water that the doctor gave to her. She said that if she could get some brandy it would do her good. She might have had a little claret and water, but I do not remember. I have not seen her taking laudanum for the last three or four months. As far as I saw, Dr. CLARKE treated his wife kindly. I have seen Mrs. CLARKE so much under the influence of drink that she had to he carried upstairs. To Mr. SMITH – About a fortnight before she died she had to be carried upstairs. On the Friday week before she died she had to be supported in bed, drink being the cause of her weakness. I have often seen her drinking a bottle of brandy and sometimes more in a day. I have often heard the doctor asking her not to take laudanum. On two or three occasions I brought laudanum to her room. I never heard Mrs. CLARKE complaining that she had to sleep on the floor at night in her nightdress, but she said that she had to sleep outside the bedclothes. She would take 30 and 40 drops of laudanum at one dose. To a juror – Mrs. CLARKE was free to go to any part of the house she liked.

Emily CARROLL, Broomfield, was next examined. She said she was the daughter of Mr. George SCOTT. Witness was living with her father and mother in November and December last. She knew the late Mrs. CLARKE for a long time. Witness remembered her coming to stop with them in the last week of November. She stopped a fortnight with them. Witness saw her constantly the entire of that time. She seemed to be in very good health when she came, with the exception of a slight cold, which she caught while there. She ate her meals regularly. There was one day she did not eat so well as she did upon others. That was from the effects of the cold. She never threw off her food. Witness saw her daily during the time that she stopped, and she could not have thrown off her food without witness knowing about it. She did not drink on the occasion of her visit, with the exception of a bottle of porter to her dinner. She walked from witness’s house to her brother’s at Leak, a distance of two miles. One of witness’s sisters occupied the bedroom with the deceased. When witness was living in Dublin, Mrs. CLARKE paid her a visit. That was August 1878. While there she received a letter from Dr. CLARKE.

Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY –  l object to this evidence. It is not evidence at all. Mr. SMITH – l submit it is perfectly legal evidence. Did Mrs. CLARKE receive a letter from Dr. CLARKE when she was living in your house? – She did. Did it distress her very much? – It did. She seemed to be quite annoyed about the matter. She replied to that letter. Mr. SMITH – Did she refer to the contents of it? Witness – She said that “no woman having money should marry a man that was poor.” She did not complain to witness when in Dublin. She did not tell witness anything in December last. Cross-examined – She walked from my father’s house to her brother’s on the evening of the 22nd December. It was a frosty night. I was not surprised to see her not drinking porter.

Dr. STEWART, Glasslough, was next examined. He stated that on Tuesday, the 24th inst., he made a post-mortem examination of the body of the late Mrs CLARKE. Upon external examination he found the body fairly nourished. The skin presented a green discolouration over the bowels, which was the result of commencing decomposition and a purplish red appearance on the dependent parts of the body, legs and arms, which was owing to haemostetic congestion. On opening the abdomen the following appearances presented themselves, viz: the liver was enormously enlarged and occupied the greater part of the cavity of the abdomen. It extended upwards as far as  the lower margin of the fourth rib, downward as far as the crest of the right ilium and across the epigastric region into the left hypochondria. The liver presented all the appearances of lardaceous degeneration and on being weighed was found to be about 84 ounces. The normal weight of a healthy liver varied from 45 to 60 ounces. The spleen seemed normal in appearance and colour and was about 4½ ounces when weighed. The kidneys appeared a little congested, but were otherwise healthy. The stomach was empty and considerably displaced downwards into the umbilical region. The chest having been opened, the lungs upon examination were found to be considerably hepatised, especially the left lung and there were extensive and well-organised pleuritic adhesions of both lungs, especially the right. The heart was small, pale and flabby. The walls were thin, but had no traces of valvular disease. The weight of the heart was only 6½ oz., and the cavities were almost empty. The brain appeared healthy, but there was considerable congestion of the surface. The immediate cause of death was syncope, which arose from the failure of the heart’s action, that organ, being unable to bear the increased strain thrown upon it by the intensity of disease in other organs, particularly in the liver and lungs.

Witness, in reply to Mr. SMITH said that the stomach, liver, spleen and kidneys were sealed up and sent to Dr, HODGES, Belfast. It was given into the charge of Constable CUNNINGHAM. Mr. SMITH – Would drinking quinine and its component parts produce the swelled liver Witness – l not think it would. Have you ever known in your experience of any person who was in the habit of throwing off their food for the symptoms to stop so suddenly as in twelve hours? – No I have not. How long would a person of deceased’s apparent constitution continue to drink a bottle of brandy per day and live? – It depends greatly upon the constitution. It would not be possible to live long without taking food. If the deceased drank a bottle of brandy every day for eighteen months would you expect to see her alive? – No, I would not. Witness was cross-examined at some length by Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY, but nothing of importance was elicited.

Dr. WOODS gave corroborative evidence.

Jane SCOTT was next called, and said that when Mrs. CLARKE was stopping in her father’s house at Broomfield she seemed to be quite well. She did not drink any spirituous liquors when there. She received a letter from her husband and replied to it. She was not drunk when she wrote it. She made no communication to witness on the 23rd December. Mr. SMITH -Did she ever on any previous visit to your house throw off her food? – Witness Yes, she did. She said that she had taken an egg beaten up in sweetmilk to her breakfast and that it had disagreed with her. Mr. SMITH – Could she have taken brandy or medicine in your house without your knowledge? Witness – No.

Ellen SCOTT was examined and gave corroborative evidence. She also said that Mrs. CLARKE had told her that her husband would make her sit up in the bed till morning in her dressing-gown. To a juror – She told me this at  Ballytrain.

Mary Ann CONNOLLY was then sworn. She said that she lived at Ballytrain with her father. He is in court at present. On the 5th of February Dr. CLARKE came for witness between eleven and twelve o’clock at night. They were all in bed and he called witness’s father. He then said that his wife was dead or dying. Witness went over to the house, accompanied by her father and mother and they went into Mrs. CLARKE’S bedroom. The girl, Ann BOYLE was sitting on the pillow which was on the bedside and the doctor was standing at the bed. Deceased was leaned forward in the servant’s arms. Her eyes were half open, but she never spoke. A short time after witness went into the room she knew that Mrs. CLARKE was dead. Witness had not seen Mrs. CLARKE for some time previous to that, but she heard that she had a cold. Ann BOYLE was not often in witness’s house. Witness remained in the house all that night and about four o’clock in the morning the body was washed. Witness did not see any bottles on the dressing-room table. Witness had heard that her brother was living at Leak. To Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY – I saw one bottle of brandy in the house. To Mr. SMITH – The bottle was full.

Mary Eleanor PARR was next examined. She said she lived near Ballytrain. She saw Mrs. CLARKE in December in her own house. Witness did not recollect whether she was well or ill. Witness stopped in the house from Saturday evening till Monday. She did not know whether deceased drank a bottle brandy or not. Witness did not see her drinking any during that time. Witness called after Christmas, but she did not see deceased. They attended witness’s father’s place worship, but that was seldom. About the middle of January, witness called and saw the servant. She may have asked for Mrs. CLARKE. After coming out she met the doctor. Mrs. CLARKE on one occasion told her she would never be well. She had said something about consumption. Witness had seen her drunk and the doctor lifted her in his arms. Mr. SMITH – Was he sober? Witness – He was. Witness had stopped in the house at night on different occasions. She did not know that Mrs. CLARKE took laudanum. It was before dinner time that witness saw her drunk. She never saw her taking quinine. Witness saw her retching once. It was more than a year since and might be two. Cross-examined – I know Mrs. CLARKE’S husband. They lived together on good terms. I remember her on one occasion falling asleep on a chair and her husband put his arms around her and carried her into the room. Mr. SMITH – Was that sleep or drink? Witness – l believe it was both. Mr. SMITH – Was it after or before dinner? Witness – It was before dinner. I never spoke to her about it afterwards. Mr. SMITH –  How do you know that she was drunk? Witness – Because she could not walk out of the room. I never heard any quarrel in the house when Mrs. CLARKE was in that state. To Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY – He met me in the street on one occasion and wanted me to go back and try and use some influence with his wife, but I told him I was in a hurry. He told me that Mrs. CLARKE was lying on the sofa.

Mary CLEGG was called and said that she was present on the occasion that Mary Eleanor PARR saw Mrs. CLARKE drunk. Dr. CLARKE and his wife seemed to be affectionate enough. To Mr. SMITH – I have known Dr. CLARKE to take a glass of grog. Mrs. CLARKE would visit my house frequently. I never heard her complaining of her heart.

Lydia LUNDY deposed that she knew Dr. and Mrs. CLARKE. They were always affectionate and kind. She used to walk with him to the dispensary. Mrs. CLARKE never told her that she took brandy, but she said she took quinine. When witness asked the doctor how she was he replied that she was one day ill and another better. Witness was very much surprised when she heard of her death. To a juror – I have not seen her for the past twelve months.

Francis M’CURDY said he lived in Ballintrain and was in Dr. CLARKE’S employment for a long time. He took care of the trap and looked after the yard. He often saw Dr. and Mrs. CLARKE together and they were always on affectionate terms. When Mrs. CLARKE came back to the house in December, she was complaining. Witness heard her complain of her heart, but he never heard her complaining about her husband. Mr. SMITH – Did you speak to anybody with reference to Dr. CLARKE and his wife? – No, never, except to Mr. CORR, Dr, CLARKE’S solicitor. Did you ever carry her drink? – l have. Was she drunk? If she drank all I carried her she must have been drunk. (laughter.) How much did you bring at one time – There were days I brought her a bottle of brandy and half pint. How long have you been doing that? – For the past eight months every day. Who paid for it? – It was ordered and put into the doctor’s passbook and sometimes when it was refused I paid for it myself. I never told Dr. CLARKE that I was carrying drink for his wife. Did the doctor ever complain to you about the drink being entered in his passbook? – No. It was done without his knowledge? It was. On the day after she came home I went for half a pint of brandy for her. On that occasion she gave me a sovereign and I paid for it. Did Dr. CLARKE ask you the cause of her death? No. Did you ever say to anybody that there was improper intimacy between Dr. CLARKE and Ann BOYLE? No, I did not.

Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY – There is not a word of truth in this scandalous suggestion against Dr. CLARKE. Mr. SMITH – You can try and contradict me when you are making out your case. To witness – Did you ever say anything about Ann BOYLE? – No, I never did. – Did you ever say anything about Ann BOYLE having more influence over Dr. CLARKE than his wife had? – No. – Did you ever say that you could tell a story that the doctor would find hard to contradict? – No, I did not. – Did you ever go for Dr. MARTIN for her. – No. – Did the doctor ever complain to you about Mrs. CLARKE? – No. I saw them on Christmas Day and she appeared to have taken some drink. – Did you ever hear that she was taking quinine? – Ann BOYLE told me so. – Did the doctor ever tell you she took laudanum? – No. – Did you ever say that you would not come today? I never told any person that. The doctor never complained to me about his wife drinking. – Did you suggest to Dr. CLARKE, when his wife was sick, that he  should write for her brother? – No, I did not, nor did I suggest about another doctor being brought in. – Did she complain from the time she came home in December? – Yes, she did. – Did you see her a fortnight before she died? – No. I was in the house on the day she died. – Did you hear of her being ill on that day? – Yes, I heard she was very ill. – Was the doctor out or in that day? – He was out taking a walk. He returned about five o’clock in the evening.

Ann BOYLE was again called and in reply to Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY said that there was no improper intercourse between her and Dr. CLARKE. Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY said it was a scandalous observation to say that this girl had any improper intimacy with Dr. CLARKE.

Mr. SMITH said that he had been instructed to ask the question. The Court was adjourned until Friday, the 26th March, when they would have evidence of Dr. HODGES. (Northern Whig)

27 Mar. 1880 The Late Mrs. Dr. CLARKE of Ballytrain, the Adjourned Inquest.

Glasslough- Friday

Today the inquest into the death of the wife of Dr. Francis Edward CLARKE of Ballytrain, was resumed here in the National school.

An adjournment till today had taken place on the 1st inst., in order that the viscera &c. of the deceased lady might be examined by Dr. HODGES.

The coroner said that he had got Dr. HODGES’ report of the analysis of the viscera of the deceased, but that before he read it he would examine the constable who had charge of what was sent to Belfast for examination.

Constable CUNNINGHAM deposed that he was present at the post-mortem examination on the deceased. He received from Dr’s. WOOD and STEWART portions of her body sealed up. There were four jars; each of the jars were sealed. He conveyed those to Belfast, to Dr. HODGES February 25th. He received from him a receipt for the jars.

The Coroner then read the report from Dr. HODGES, which stated that he had received the viscera, &c. and that he had submitted them to several tests and was unable to find any trace of poison, either vegetable or mineral.

In answer to Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY, Dr. STEWART said he’d heard Dr. HODGES’ report. – Having heard it, what would you say was the cause of death? Mr. SMITH – l object. That had been answered already, beside the two doctors did not examine portions of the body that were sent to Dr. HODGES. Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY – That is absurd. The two doctors themselves, took out the viscera and they must have seen them. The witness said that he saw no reason to alter his previous opinion. He asked to be allowed to make an explanation. There was an impression abroad that he had stated that the deceased died from excessive drinking. What he had said was “that the appearance of the brain and the state of the liver were such as were generally present in cases where alcoholic stimulants had been excessively indulged in.”

The jury intimated that that was what they had understood the doctor to mean.

Dr. MARTIN deposed that he would not be surprised to know that Mrs. CLARKE had died from phthisis, as some three years ago Dr. CLARKE had sent for him to attend his wife, who was suffering from throwing off of blood, or spitting of blood, he was not sure which. From the fact that the lungs were hepatized and that there was extensive pleuritic adhesion, he believed that there was a great probability that the deceased had died from consumption.

Cross examined – Did ever you see Mrs. CLARKE drunk? – No. – Were you ever called to see her medically? – No, except on the occasion he had mentioned and he did not go then, as she got better.

Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY – I suppose, doctor, you know medicine at best can only assist nature. – Decidedly. Mr. SMITH – It sometimes annihilates nature. Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY protested against these imputations.

Catherine TRAINOR deposed, in answer to Mr. SMITH that she had been servant to Mr. COCHRANE, at Leek. She was there December last while Mrs. CLARKE was there on visit. She remembered the day that she had left to go home to Ballytrain. She took her meals regularly at Leek. She was not throwing off during that visit . She never saw the deceased drinking, except about half a glass of brandy for a cold. Mr. SMITH – Had she conversation with you on the day before she left? Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY objected. After some discussion Mr. SMITH withdrew the witness and here closed his case.

Anne BREEN deposed that she was a servant with Dr. CLARKE when she came home after her marriage in September 1875. Witness left in 1878. She always saw Dr. CLARKE kind to his wife. Mrs. CLARKE drank freely while witness lived there. Witness on many occasions tried to dissuade her from drink. Mrs. CLARKE was very frequently under the influence of drink. She frequently roused Mrs. CLARKE when the doctor was coming home. Mrs. CLARKE endeavored to conceal her drinking from the doctor. She kept the drink locked up. Cross-examined – The doctor asked witness at last what it was that made his wife so drowsy and she told him what she believed was the cause.

Were there labels on the bottles that were brought in? – She never remarked labels. She would say that Mrs. CLARKE took four or five glasses some days. If she got a bottle in the evening she would not have a drop in the morning. She would throw off her food every time she got drunk.

Mr. Joseph CLEGG, Sheardan, deposed, in answer to Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY that he knew Mrs. CLARKE. He saw Mrs. CLARKE in the month of September or October, on an occasion when she was under the influence of drink. Dr. CLARKE was always kind to Mrs. CLARKE. He was kind on the occasion when she was intoxicated.

Francis M’SNIFF examined – said he was a shop assistant of Mr. ROE, Ballytrain. This shop is a grocery, public-house and drapery. He attended in the shop. Mrs. CLARKE kept an account in that shop. Mr. SMITH – Have you got the books? You have been subpoenaed to produce them. – Yes. The grocery account was kept in the doctor’s name. There was a drink account kept in the shop in Mrs. CLARKE’S name. He saw Mrs. CLARKE one time when he went to Dr. CLARKE’S house in January,1879. He went to get a cure for the toothache. Mrs. CLARKE was not sober. She tried to give him something for his tooth, but she was not able to do it. She was grasping at the bottles. On being cross-examined by Mr. SMITH witness went through the book and explained the various items which were charged in the book. Re-examined – Mrs. CLARKE generally paid for the drink she got that was not entered in the book.

Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY said that he would not detain the jury long, with the few remarks he had to make. He had thought when the certificate of Dr. HODGES was read and when proof upon proof had been given as to the cause of this lady’s death, that the Messrs. COCHRANE would have had the manliness and decency to admit that they had been misled and misinformed and to have withdrawn from the inquiry. He proceeded to recapitulate the various points of the evidence and said that without doubt it had been proved that the deceased had died from syncope of the heart and that this had been brought on by excessive drinking. It had been proved that Dr. CLARKE had been kind to his wife. It was absurd to say that he had not told people that his wife was drinking. He was doing what any man would do – endeavouring to screen his wife’s infirmity. No man who had heard the evidence could, except he was prepared to traffic with his conscience, doubt that Dr. CLARKE was exonerated. The speaker concluded an eloquent and able address, with a forcible appeal to the jury to do justice in the case.

Mr. SMITH replied and said that Dr. CLARKE had, he submitted, been guilty of culpable negligence in permitting his wife to take the amount of drink that she had been in the habit of taking. He quoted Mr. Justice HAWKIN’S charge to the jury in the PAYNE case, to show that negligence of that kind amounted to manslaughter.

Mr. O’SHAUGHNESSEY strenuously objected to a  newspaper report of a case in which the prisoner actually poured liquor down the woman’s throat being cited at this inquiry. The court was cleared. After a consultation of about an hour, the jury found that the deceased, Mrs. CLARKE, had died from cessation of the heart’s action. They appxded <sic> to their verdict an intimation that Dr. CLARKE should have tried to take more care in the matter of the drink with which his wife was supplied.

27 Nov. 1919 – Glennan War Memorial

Rev. John DAVIDSON M.A., D.D., ex-Moderator of the General Assembly, on Sunday last, unveiled a tablet at Glennan Presbyterian Church in memory of the members of the congregation who fell in the war. Dr. DAVIDSON also unveiled a tablet commemorating those who had served, including nurses and a tablet erected by the parents of a son who was killed in action in France. The services, which were well attended, were conducted by Rev. R. J. BARKLEY B.D., Aughnacloy.

History of Glaslough Village