Magherafelt is a small town, and a civil parish, in the barony of Loughinsholin, and County Londonderry.
Transcribed and compiled by Teena from the ‘History of Magherafelt, Ireland’ by W. H. Maitland 1916
According to the muster roll of County Londonderry there were on the Salters’ proportion; Mr.SAYER -16 men; 12 muskets and 4 Halberds. A further survey was made in 1622, from which we learn that on the Salters’ proportion there were 6 freeholders, one free-holder resident; 12 British men and 348 natives. The survey also states; “This “proportion lies in the fastness of Killetra “where it is very fit for the strengthening of those parts. There was a castle and bawn erected between Mayharyfelt and Moneymore, at the two Balle Moans. The “Drapers Proportion, which with Mayharyfelt, being finished and freeholds of the said manor, well planted in a convenient place and large paces cut through the woods for highways, will be a great security to those parts and increase of traffic from the inland countrys to the said Lough Neagh. The castle referred to is evidently Salters Old Castle. (Salterstown was a more important place than Magherafelt in 1622.)
Magherafelt, in 1622, was not a very pretentious place, as it only consisted of a bawn, the house, used as a cattle pound, and ten framework houses – 6 of which were occupied, 2 were vacant and 2 were in course of construction.
The names under the occupied houses were;
Those in Saltertown;
Sir BIRKETT, minister
It is interesting to note that at the present time (1916) Robert AVERALL, who resides in Union Road and John REDFERN, Mullaghboy, both are direct descendants of the AVERY’S and REDFERN’S respectively, who came over at the time of the Plantation.
The next reliable account of the town of Magherafelt is that contained in the Terrier (Rental) of the Salters Co., issued in respect of the half year ended 1st November 1752, which gives a description of the principal occupiers;
Wm. ALLISON – A thatched house of two storey and a garden.
Wm. REYNOLD’S executors – A low thatched house
Rev. Mr. WALLACE – A tenement – the house down
Widow FULTON – A low thatched cabin.
Executors of Thomas TROTTER sen. – A shingled house, one storey and a half high.
Wm. ASH – Two shingled houses, each two stones high; one shingled house, one and a half stories high, and a malt kiln, part shingled and part thatched
Wm. FLEMING – One shingled house, two stories high and two of a storey and a half each.
Robert KILPATRICK – A cabin
Robert SEMPLE – The like
Mrs. WARBURTON – Three shingled houses of one storey and a half high, and three low cottages of one storey.
John CAMPBELL, Trent – A shingled house of two stories.
Thomas BURNEY – A thatched cabin.
John BOGGS – The like
Wm. HALL – Same
Robert NELSON – Same
John NELSON – Same
James NEYSER – Same
Alexander BRADY – Same
Wm. GIVEN – A shingled house, two stories high.
Widow BURNETT – A small shingled house of one storey and a half high.
Thomas TROTTER – A shingled house of one storey.
George HOUSTON – A cabin.
Nicholas LOGAN – Same
Robert BERKLEY – A malt house, shingled
Robert RAINEY – A shingled house two stories high.
From the foregoing it would appear that Magherafelt was not a very important town, as it only consisted of 32 houses, a malt-kiln and a malt-house.
In 1766 a Parliamentary Return as to the Religious denomination of the families in each parish in Ireland was called for and the Rector was the person on whom devolved the making of the return.The following, for Magherafelt Parish, was taken on the 28th day of March 1766, by Rev. James RICHARDSON, Parish Minister of Magherafelt from 1738 to 1771. He returns 625 families altogether and classifies them thus; “Protestants of the Established Church, 148; Protestant Dissenters, 274; Papists, 203 heads. No Popish Priests or Fryars reside in this Parish. “We give the names as returned and classified and it will be noticed that many of them are represented at the present day, after a century and a half.
Rev. James RICHARDSON, rector
Margaret M’CONNEL, widow
William NODWELL, younger
Mary REYNOLDS, widow
Jane BROWN, widow
Elisabeth CAMPBELL, widow
Elisabeth CONYNGHAM, widow
Jane GRAVES, widow
John LECKAY, younger
Elisabeth LAWSON, widow
Sarah BADGER, widow
Margery HUEY, widow
Mary MULLEN, widow
Phillis WARBURTON, widow
Mary VANCE, widow
Jane WHITESIDE, widow
Hanna DUNCAN, widow
Jane EAKEN, widow
Mary PURVIS, widow
Margaret MORTON, widow
Sophia BIRKBY, widow
Jane GARVEN, widow
Ann REED, widow
John JOHNSTON, elder
John JOHNSTON, younger
Elizabeth FOSTER, widow
James SLOSS, younger
David DUNCAN, younger
Mary GIVEN, widow
Catherine GIVEN, widow
Margaret TROTTER, widow
Sarah DUNCAN, widow
Mary DUNCAN, widow
Mary CAMPBELL, widow
Elizabeth JOHNSTON, widow
Isabella BURNEY, widow
Esther BRUNKARD, widow
Mary SEMPLE, widow
Mary JOHNSTON, widow
Mary Ann BROWN, widow
Martha TAYLOR, widow
Mary LOUGHEY, widow
John DITTY, younger
John WALLER, younger
James M’NAUGHT, younger
Mary WILSON, widow
Bridget HENRY, widow
Jane MORRON, widow
Margaret O’NEILL, widow
Mary HENRY widow
Daniel KERNEY Dennis KEENAN
James O’CAHAN, younger
“The Terrier” (Rentals) published by the Salters’ Company for the half-year ended 1st November 1752.
(Townlands & meanings, Occupiers and area rented; a= acres, r=roods)
Aghagaskin (O’Gaskin’s Field)
Thomas KEMPTON and George STEWART 127a. 2r.
The Trustees of the Dissenters 53a. 1r.
James BOWMAN and James SEMPLE 63a. 1r.
Widow O’NEILL, Benjamin REDFERN and Abraham KEIGHTLY 132a. 1r.
Edward BEATTY and Thomas GRAVES 75a. 2r.
All low cabins in this townland. Great part of the land moss and scrub of wood and bog.
Aughrim (The Ridge of the Horses)
James M’CLEERY, Henry FULLERTON, Richard LENNOX and partners, 197a. 3r.
One small bleach-yard and tolerable farm-house in this townland.The rest poor cabins. Most of the land scrub of wood, moss and bog.
Bellagherty (Agherty’s Town)
John M’WILLIAMS’ executory, Philip O’DONACHEY and partners, Phelamy DONACHEY and partners 232a. 2r.
In this townland is one tolerable farm-house, possessed by M’WILLIAMS’ widow; the rest poor Irish creats. Great part of land scrub of wood, moss and bog.
Ballycumlargye (Town of the crooked slope or declavity)
John M’GEOWN and David CROSIT 120a.3r. On this townland is one tolerable farm-house, the rest cabins. Only a small part moss, the rest arable and pasture.
Ballydonnell (Donnell’s Town)
George HENDERSON, Wm. BAXTER and partners, John WORKMAN, Bryan KELLY and partners, 245a.3r.
In this town are two tolerable farm-houses, the remainder cabins. Part of this was the domain of Salterstown Castle; mostly arable and pasture, except some moss.
Ballymultrea (O’Multrea’s Town)
Andrew BELL, Widow TRACEY, Bryan M’GUCKIN, Widow TAYLOR and others, 258a.
In this town stands the walls of Salterstown Castle, which was burnt in 1688, with two tolerable farm-houses and a corn-mill; groat part shrub of wood, whins and some bog.
Ballygillen More (Magillian’s Town)
William RAMSAY, 196a. 3r.
One good farm-house and some poor Irish creats in this townland. The greatest part of it is shrubs of wood, rocks, bog and some moss.
Ballygillen-Beg (Magillian’s Town)
Philemy GORERY, Miles M’PHILLONE, John O’CAHAN and Rodger O’COSHALLY, 192a.3r.
All poor creats in this townland; mostly shrub of wood, bog and moss.
Ballydermot (Dermot’s Town) and Edenreagh (Grey Brow or Brae)
John DOWNING Esq., 331a. 3r.
On one of these townlands there is a good house built by Rev. Simon ROE, the rest, poor cottages, inhabited by poor Irish.
Ballymulderg (O’Mulderg’s Town)
Patrick O’MULLAN, Wm. JOHNSTON, Charles O’NEILL, Bryan M’GUIGGAN and partners, Patrick O’CULLIAN, Francis BANDERMAN, Ralph BEATTY, Henry M’CONWELL, Anthony BERRIMAN, 377a. 3r.
In this townland is one good farm-house and one other tolerable house, the rest cabins and Irish creats; very little arable land, being mostly covered with shrubs of wood, rocks, moss and bog.
Ballyneill-More (O’Neill’s Town)
One good farm-house and very good offices, built by the late Mr. NEIRE, when he was ranger of the Society’s woods; the rest cabins and Irish creats.
Robert BIRKBY, 99a. 3r.; moss, 45a.
Remainder of this townland let in small parcels to the town. Great part of this townland shrub of wood and bog. The moss supplies the inhabitants of the town of Magherafelt and some of the country with firing.
Ballymoghan-More (O’Moghan’s Town)
Widow GILMER and partners, Mrs. WARBURTON, 303a. 2r.
Two small farm-houses in this townland and some poor cabins; most of the townland shrub of wood, rock, moss and bog.
Ballymoghan Beg BEG (O’Moghan’s Town)
Samuel THOMPSON and partners, James CAMPBELL, Thomas SHANNON and Samuel FINLOY’S executors, 244a. 1r.
One tolerable farm-house and offices, the rest poor cabins. There is 33a. 2r. of moss.
Ballyronan More and Beg (O’Ronan’s Town)
Executors of Rowley HILL Esq. 161a.
Priest O’COR, 29a. 2r. .
Joseph BEATTY, 80a 1r.
Rev. John GRAVES and David GAUSSEN, 104a.
Robert MAXWELL, 88a.
John HAMMOND, 44a.
In those townlands are five tolerable farm-houses. There are a good many cabins and creats. Great part shrubs of wood, bog, rocks and stoney ground.
Ballynagarve (Town of the Roughness)
Cormack M’ELHONE and partners, 61a.
James BURNETT, 79a. 2r.
James BROWN and partners, 63a. 3r.
Edward MULHOLLAND, Owen M’LAUGHLIN and partners, 51a.
All cabins and Irish creats in this townland.
Ballymilligan (O’Mulligan’s Town)
One small farm-house in this townland and a small bleach-yard, the rest cabins and Irish creats.
Drumrainey (Ridge of the Ferns)
Owen M’GURK and partners, 53a.
Thomas STANTON and partners, 49a. 2r.
Arthur FORBES and partners, 50a. 2r.
Two cabins and Irish creats, 29 acres of moss reserved.
Dunarnon (arnon’s Dun or Fort)
Wm. CREIGHTON, 61a. 2r.
George PATTERSON and partners, 72a.
Moss reserved, 51a. 2r.
A small tan-yard and three small farm-houses, very little arable land.
Dunamoney (Fort of the Bog)
Wm. and John LEES, John BROWN, Wm. FLEMING, Robert WILSON, 213a. 2r.
In this townland and part of Ballyhavor, stands a corn-mill and wind-mill with two good farm-houses, some cabins and Irish creats. The wind-mill belongs to the Rev. Robert BRYAN and the rent £5.
Killybogan (Wood of the Bog)
Wm. PORTER, Andw. BROOK, David CULLEN and partners, Wm. and John JOHNSTON, 177a. 3r.
Some moss reserved. Rev. Robert BRYANS, for the mills, rent £20. In this townland a corn-mill, some cabins and Irish creats.
Killynease (Aenea’s Wood)
Patrick DOUDLE, John ADGER’S widow, John BUNTON, 227a.
Killyfaddy (Long wood)
Mr. Wm. JOHNSTON, 371a.
In this townland there is one good farm-house and offices and a few cabins and Irish creats.
Hugh O’NEILL and partners, 66a.
There are only three cabins in this townland. The greatest part of the land let to the town. Most shrub of wood, moss and bog.
Mullaghboy (The Yellow Summit)
John RAMSY’S executors, William GIVEN, Mrs. WARBURTON, 127a.
There are only some cabins and Irish creats in this townland. The greatest part of the townland held by the inhabitants of the town of Magherafelt.
Moymuckle-Murray (Macgil-Murry’s Plain)
John Harris, 38a.
David ADAMS and partners, 99a.
John M’CORD, 39a. 3r.
Three tolerable farm-houses in this townland and some cabins. All arable and pasture, except some moss and bog, about 12 acres
Polepatrick (Patrick’s Shole or Cavern).
Richard WHITESIDE, 40a.
The remainder of this townland let to the people of Magherafelt. One tolerable farm-house. All arable pasture.
Roshure (Point of the Yew)
Henry and Job PALMER, 127a.
Two small farm-houses. All arable and pasture except 30 acres of moss, bog and moor.
Tillinkisie (Linchy’s Hill)
William and Ben BROWN, Mantis MULHOLLAND and James M’NAUGHT and partners, William AKEIN and John TOMB, Edward WHITESIDE and partners (Forge Dam), 270a.
All poor cabins and Irish creats. Very little arable land, being mostly shrub of wood, bog and rocks.
1824 Pigot and Co.’s Hibernian Provincial Directory
Magherafelt is a small neat market and post town in the county of Derry, 91 (or 94?) miles north by west of Dublin, by the post road, 2 miles from Castledawson, 4 from Moneymore, 5 from Toome, 7 from Cookstown and 28 from Belfast. In the year 1680, Hugh RAINEY Esq., left an annuity of 175 pounds per annum for the support and education of as many boys, as the sum (after deducting the salary of the school-master and the house-keeper) would allow; the number is generally from 12 to 14; they are maintained three years, afterwards apprenticed, with an extra suit of clothes and fifty shillings, which are placed in the hands of their master and at the expiration of their service, given to them towards their beginning business.
Here is also a Sunday school for children of all religious denominations. The church is a neat stone edifice, with a lofty spire, of which the Rev. Thomas A. VESEY is the present rector. Here are also a Presbyterian meeting-house and a Catholic chapel. In the centre of the town stands the market-house, possessing a good clock and over it is a ballroom. At the lower end of the town is the Sessions House, where the sessions are held twice a year for civil bills and criminal offences; adjoining it is the Linen Hall. A court leet is also held here every month, for the recovery of debts under forty shillings. The proprietors of this town are the Marquis of Londonderry and Sir Robert BATESON, who hold it under a lease from the London Company. The general market is held on Thursday and a good one for linen on the second Thursday in every month. There are fairs on August 25th, October 29th and December 29th. The population is 1,100.
Post-master, Mr.Thomas DICKSON
The Dublin mail is despatched to Cookstown at twenty minutes past ten in the morning and arrives at half-past three in the afternoon. The Londonderry and Belfast mails leave at three quarters past three in the afternoon and arrive at half-past seven in the evening. A by-mail to Tobermore and Maghera at half-past seven in the evening. Letters for England go by Dublin, those for Scotland by Belfast.
Gentry and Clergy;
ASH Miss, Charity Street
BAMBER George Esq., Millbrook
BELL Humphrey Esq., Warwick Lodge
BRYAN Josh Esq., seneschal, Broad Street
PATERSON, Captain Thomas
PAUL Rev. Thos., rector of Ballinderry
VESEY Rev. Thomas A., rector, Glebe-house
WALKER John Esq., agent to the Belfast Northern Bank, Charity Street
WILSON Rev. James, Fairview
Merchants and Tradesmen &c;
Physicians – EVANS Robert, Bread Street.
Surgeons – SHANNON Dr.; WILSON William, Diamond.
Attorneys – CHAMBERS David, Broad Street; DICKSON Thomas, Charity Street; GAUSSEN Charles, Diamond
Surveyors of Excise – JAMES Richard Esq., Broad Street.
Coroner – M’KEE David (and high constable of the barony).
Linen-Inspector – BOYLE Henderson Esq., Charity Street
ALEXANDER Isaac, Pass
BROWN Wm., Pass
CAMPBELL James, Charity Street
COCHRAN, John, Charity St.
COUSLEY, John, Pass
DEVLIN, John, parish clerk
DONNELLY Charles, Castle St.
FERGUSON Wm., Broad St.
HAGAN, John, Pass
HOLDEN, Richard, Broad St.
HUTCHINSON, James, Charity St.
JOHNSTON, James, Diamond
M’FALLS Thomas, Diamond
M’QUADE James, Charity St.
MARKS Wm., Castle St.
MASON, Wm., Charity St.
THOMPSON, Sarah, innkeeper
WALSH Michael, Pass
Shopkeepers, Traders, &c;
ADAMS Joshua, watch and clock-maker, Broad Street
ARMSTRONG John, wheelwright, Broad St.
COCHRAN Robert, grocer, Charity St.
CULLIN Mary, haberdasher, Charity St.
DAWSON Arthur, grocer and spirit-dealer, Castle St.
DUNCAN David, woollen-draper, Charity St.
DUNCAN John, grocer, Broad St.
DUNCAN Robt., grocer ,Broad St.
DUNCAN W., grocer, Charity St.
GRAHAM David, woollen-draper and haberdasher Charity St.
GRAHAM John, haberdasher
HUGHES James, grocer and iron-monger, Broad St.
HULL John, grocer and baker, Diamond
JOHNSTON Michael, tanner, Ballyheifer
JOHNSON Samuel, grocer, Charity St.
KIRKPATRICK John, carpenter and glazier, Corn Lane
KIRKPATRICK John grocer, Charity St.
LEO Hugh, grocer, Pass
LOVE John, grocer and hardware dealer, Charity St.
M’DAVITT Margaret, woollen-draper, Charity St.
M’GINNIS Charles, tailor, Pass
M’KEE Thomas, wheel-wright, Charity St.
M’LERNON Thomas, grocer, Castledawson St.
OAKMAN Walter, baker and flour dealer, Castle-dawson St.
RICHARDSON Henry, boot and shoemaker, Pass
SANDS Robert, grocer, Charity St.
SMITH George, wheelwright, Castle-Dawson St.
VANCE James, watch and clockmaker, Broad St.
WALKER John, linen buyer, Charity St.
WILSON Mary Jane, haberdasher
WORKMAN James, painter and glazier, Broad St.
Belfast, the Union Day Coach, from Thomas M’FALLS, Diamond, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, at seven in the morning and returns on alternate days, at eight in the evening. Goods may be conveyed to any part of the kingdom, by hiring cars for the purpose.