The “Brentie”, Brentur and now Brantry, a place name which was represented in an area in the form of a triangle – 7.4 miles from Aughnacloy to Caledon and 12.8 miles up to Dungannon. Brantry is formed out of the Parishes of Aghaloo, Carnteel and Clonfeacle.
For a map which includes the area ‘The O’Neill Country Historical Society’ http://oneillcountryhistoricalsociety.com/history/eglish-heritage-trail/
The townlands that are encompassed in the district are;
In the Topographical Dictionary of Ireland Volume 1 by Samuel Lewis, Brantry is an ecclesiastical district chiefly in the parish of Aughaloo, Unions of Dungannon and Armagh, barony of Dungannon, county of Tyrone and province of Ulster. This district was formed in 1844, the living is a curacy in the diocese of Armagh and in the alternate patronage of the incumbents of Carnteel and Clonfeacle, who pay the minister, the former, £60 and the latter £10 a year. The church was built by the Dowager Lady Caledon and a glebe house, by the Earl of Caledon, who has also assigned five acres of land for a glebe.
Historical Accounts of Brantry
Sir R. STEWART’S letters in Shirley’s ‘History of Monaghan County’, says “the district known as the Brantry was among great woods on the west side of the parish of Clonfeacle in the County Tyrone. It was picturesquely situated on a hill side, about 100 yards from the south shore of a lough, whose waters cover an extent of 17 acres and whose name is Friary Lough to this day. It was at the northern end of the townland of Gort, was embosomed in the hill and was, in its day, encircled in the seclusion of the great woods of the Brantry, whose deep solitude often afforded friendly shelter to many a pious and faithful priest and to many a brave layman hunted from altars and homes in troubled times. The Brantry Woods are no longer seen around the site of the Friary but a portion of them, covering 70 acres, has been spared and yet exists on the shores of Brantry lough, which is three quarters of a mile south of Friary lough. The Friary belonged to the good Fathers of the Order of St. Francis.
Tirlagh O’NEALE – This was the eldest son of Sir Arthur O’NEILL of Newtown and grandson of Tirlagh Luineach O’NEILL of Strabane, chiefs of the Slut Arte. Tirlagh O’NEALE had been removed from his own castle and lands in the barony of Strabane and placed in the barony of Dungannon. The lands of Tirlagh O’NEILL were granted by by James 1., on 9th Dec. in the 12th year of his reign. The lands formed into the manor of Cashlan and contained the small territory known as Brantry in one townland, of which, was the well-known friary of that name. The principal part of these lands soon came to the CAULFIELD’s, as well as those of Henry McShane O’NEILL. The manor of Cashlan was passed to Lord CAULFIELD under the Act of Settlement and thus the estates of the latter include the proportions assigned in the plantation arrangements to Henry, the eldest son of Shane O’NEILL and Tirlagh, the grandson of Tirlagh Luineach O’NEILL.
Brantry, so often mentioned in the extracts of his Wars of 1641 (below), Fr. O’MELLAN, the author, and member of the Friary of Brantry, notes it was situate in a small territory of that name in the townland of Gort-tamlaght-na-muck, now simply called Gort, (also in the Manor of Cashlan and townland in the Parish of Clonfeacle). The larger territory of Munterbirne lies to the south. The name Brantry is still preserved as that of a new district parish formed out of the parishes of Clonfeacle, Aghaloo, and Carnteel.
Brantry, we may safely infer, was a favourite haunt of the unhappy outcasts known as woodkerne. (Woodkeren (ceithearnaigh choille) were the Native Irish soldiers of the 16th century). About 5 miles southwest of Dungannon and 3 miles east of Carnteel in the bosom of an almost perfect amphitheatre, surrounded by vast hills to the east, south, and west, and within the last 80 years having a dense wood cresting the north, lies the Friary Lough, shaped like a rose leaf. To the west stretch, the hills of Carrowcashel, to the east is a high hill called Stoney-Batter running precipitately to the lough, covered with boulders of freestone and immense tracts of furze, while southward is Gort-Hill terraced to the top and crowned with an earthen fort. This is the highest hill in the district and on a clear day a circuit of 40 miles, including Lough Neagh, the mountains of Donegal and Derry, with large sweeps of the counties of Down, Armagh, and Fermanagh can be traversed by the naked eye.
Banished from their parent house in Armagh, the expelled friars, under the protection of the O’NEILL’S of Castletown, chose this lovely and secluded spot as their new homestead and erected a house, with proper dormitories, chapel, &c. as also a small brewery, at a little distance, the site of which is still called the Brewery Field. To the west stretch the hills of Carrowcashel, where tradition points out a ravine, in which in periods of great persecution, the Friars celebrated Mass. To the east in the townland of Drumnamonless*, is a high hill called Stoney-Batter, running precipitately to the lough, covered with boulders of freestone and immense tracts of wild gorse, while southward is Gort Hill, terraced to the top, a plateau crowned with an earthen fort, flat and bald-like, from which apparently, it derived the name Sliabh-na-maol, the bald or ‘moiled’ mountain. It is far and away the highest hill in the district and on a clear day a circuit of 40 miles can be embraced by the naked eye, taking in Lough Neagh and portions of the counties of Down, Armagh, Fermanagh and the mountains of Donegal and Derry.
*Drumnamonless, Drumnamoless (Druim na mBan Lios) Clonfeacle Parish
July 21st 1642
These great forces came to Dunavally and remained there. As to the General, he left Charlemont, along with Con Og M’Quin M’Neill M’Brien FAGARTACH of Kinalarty, the Colonel and O’CAHAN, leaving Niall O’NEILL with a garrison in Charlemont and they came themselves to Brantry to the house of a Friar of Armagh. There was a guard upon the ford of Portmore but in spite of this, the English came across and killed two horsemen of O’QUIN’S, namely Eneas and Patrick Og O’QUIN, sons of Patrick M’Felim, the red.
July 3rd 1642
They carried off from the borders of Brantry, at Knocknacloy, above 140 cows and horses with their sheep, goats and accoutrements. (Knocknacloy, Parish of Clonfeacle, is situate on the west side of the Oona river, at its mouth into the Blackwater)
Aug 16th 1642
General LESLIE and Lord AUCHINBRECK came from Scotland and Colonel MONROE met them in Trian Congal. They marched together with 8,000 men to Coleraine and Ballymoney, O’KANE, that is Donnell GIMLEY, with a large party, came upon them at the Ferry (Toome). The Scotch were defeated, they took to the woods around, and they lost about 150 men, while not a single one of the Irish was killed. The inhabitants of the Barony of Loughinsholin and the O’KANE’S went to Brantry to Truagh and to Sliabh Beagh. The General (Sir Phelim O’NEILL) and Owen O’NEILL happened to be in Charlemont. They were shown the forces approaching The General to Sliabh-na-Maol and collected 1,000 men and O’NeiLL went to O’Neilland and there gathered 2,000. The numerous Scotch forces arrived at Dungannon and fired off guns in one volley, and I, myself, heard that tremendous report.
(General LESLIE landed on the 4th August, according to Carte’s Ormonde ip 349. By Lord AUCHINBRECK is meant Sir Duncan CAMPBELL of Auchinbreck)
May 12th 1643
Robert MONROE came to Tandragee with 4,000 men and burnt the houses in O’Neilland. About that time the General’s people, his horse, and foot soldiers, came upon them. The Lieutenant of the enemy’s cavalry, 2 Captains and a number of soldiers, were killed there. Night coming on, the Creaghts fled, namely the people of Upper Claneboy, Iveagh, and the County Armagh, to Brantry, Oriel, &c. However the Scotch were not without plunder. they burnt 3 corn mills. Sir Felim sent a party to Anasamery, to the house of the General, to bring away whatever arms were there; and about 3 hours after the enemy came and burnt Anasamery. A great body of the M’KENNA’S came and carried away much spoil. Sir Felim sent Colonel Thomas SANFORD and 300 men to take it from them; and they killed about 200 of them. They staid 3 days encamped at Tandragee and returned with a large quantity of wheat, meal, and corn. The plunderer (that is, Rory O’HARAN) came and brought Scotch troops from the Castles, and the son of Thomas PHILIPPS from Newtown-limavady on an enterprise to plunder Art and Tuathal O’NEILL, sons of Hugh M’Shane. Along with him also, was Alister Roe the people of Desertcreaght and many more amounting to upwards of 2,000.
(Eanach-Samer, now Anasamery, between Loughgall and Charlemont about 1½ miles from the latter. It is now the property of Sir William VERNER.)
(Desertcreaght, Desertcreight- A townland and parish in the north of the Barony of Dungannon)
June 2nd 1643
Sir Felim, with Paul O’NEILL the Guardian of Armagh and Captain Turlogh O’QUIN went with horse carriages to meet the arms, which the King of Spain had sent to Ireland. On Friday Robert STEWART, with 4,000 men, came from Inishowen. They wasted and plundered Clossagh. As for the General Owen O’NEILL, he had before this 9th June ordered the Creaghts to go to the County Longford and they were on the way thither.
June 13th 1643 The enemy came to Clones on the day of Saint Anthony of Padua and neither the General, nor any person else, perceived them, until they were within about 2 miles of them. The General’s regiment and 4 troops of horse surrounding it, met the enemy, who advanced suddenly. The alarm was sounded and Sir Felim’s regiment came forward, together with Lieutenant-Colonel Shane O’NEILL (An old officer who had been 25 years in foreign service). The action was very fierce on both sides, however the enemy prevailed over us. (Owen Roe was nearly taken prisoner in this engagement)
We lost Colonel Con Og M’Quin M’Neill M’Brien FAGHERTACH and Captain Niall O’Neill M’Turlogh M’QUIN (the lame), also Captain Eiver O’Neill M’CCONOLLY (son of the dark man). Captain Brian O’DEVLIN of the Cavalry, Captain Edward Cooley O’MULHOLLAN. The Colonel of the Orielians was taken prisoner, that is, M’MAHON. Hugh M’Art Og M’Art, son of the Baron took to flight. The following were made prisoners Lieutenant Colonel Sir Felim O’NEILL and Captain Art M’Hugh (the yellow) M’Turlogh M’HENRY. We all fled from this dreadful battle.The poor Creaghts were left behind, entirely at the mercy of the enemy. Some of them were driven east, some west, up and down the country. It was then that Cormac O’HAGAN was slain. Och! och! a sorrowful tale – and all this time Sir Felim was at Kilkenny. Some of us fled to Breffny, some to the counties of Armagh, Tyrone and Louth. The General returned to Truagh. On the 2nd night he lodged at Brantry, in the House of the Friars at Gort-tamlaght-na-muc. He left that place early in the morning and some time after the Scotch came to Brantry on Thursday precisely. They burnt the houses of the Franciscan Friars and killed a great many persons. We were 4 Friars at Brantry namely, Turlogh O’MELLAN a priest, and 3 Friars of the family of LOUGHRAN, namely Owen, Benedict, and Teague the names when night came. There were during the night at Carnteel, 4,000 foot and 6 troops of horse, including the people from Tyrconnell and Enniskillen and commanded by Sir William COLE. Sir Robert STEWART and Sir William STEWART. They had 4,000 cows divided among them. We, ourselves, the Friars, took 3 of them, namely 2 milk cows and a dry one. We killed the latter but 2 fellows from the Route took the others from us.
June 29th 1643
George MONROE, perhaps, and Lieutenant-General LESLIE collected a great host, including the son of Lord Leven, and the son of Randal STEWART. They crossed the River Bann along with them, Colonel CONOLLY, that is the man who turned informer in Dublin and through whom Lord Enniskillen was taken. They proceeded to Mountjoy to Killeter to Clanaghrie and to Brantry, so that any of the natives who had remained in the country and were unable to fly to distant places, lost every thing they possessed. They encamped at Carnteel; on Saint Peter’s day they burnt Bally Turlogh O’Neill, called the castle.
The Friars of Armagh came to Brantry. Our Guardian went to Montiaghs. Father Henry O’MELLAN, Daniel a Sancta Maria CAHILL, Bonaventura QUIN, Owen O’LOUGHRAN, Thomas CALLAM? and Edward DOWDALL to different other places Our President Patrick O’COSY and eleven other friars, along with him, and also Teague O’LOUGHRAN settled at Brantry.
(The District of the Montiaghs lies beside Lurgan to the south of Lough Neagh)
Fr. MOONEY says that the friars of Armagh were brought by Hugh O’NEIL to a place of greater safety when the wars began (1641) and “the place of greater safety” was Brantry Friary, situated to the west of the parish of Confeacle, in the barony of Dungannon and county of Tyrone. “A place of greater safety” is a name which describes it well, for a safer place could scarcely be found anywhere in Ireland. In those olden days the district called “The Brantry” was very thickly wooded, the woods stretching along the banks of the Ouna (Oona) from where they begin to trend southward to their meeting with the Blackwater. These woods were older than the memory of the men who saw the coming of the friars to Brantry. For many
an autumn-tide, before these men had learned to remember, the great old trees had strewn their leaves with Nature’s tidiness over the paths which wound around their feet, hiding away the footprints which the sires and grand-sires of these men had made. The trees of the Brantry were great and olden and in the midst of them there nestled 2 lakes, the one Brantry Lough, the other called Friary Lough, because the Friary of St. Francis stood within a 100 yards of its western shore.
The Friary Lough was tiny, only 17 acres in extent, but there was water for washing and for the garden and a drink for the convent donkey. Sometimes, too, a stray trout from the Ouna made its way thither to sport for a while in the sunlit waters, but to rest at last on the friars table for the Friday. A trout was almost the only thing that could come to Brantry Friary. To one standing by the lake before the convent, all the world beside seemed to be shut away by the mighty woods.
From the top of the hill behind the convent, Armagh could be seen through the trees, 9 or 10 miles away to the south-east, 5 miles to the north-east the houses in Dungannon were distinctly visible on a clear day, on the east, Charlemont Castle stood out plainly against the horizon, while to the south, like a glistening silver band, the Blackwater shone in the summer sunlight, or when the moon enlightened the frosty winter night. Brantry Friary was a quiet place, the world and its turmoil were out of earshot and out of sight for the dwellers there, it was the O’NEILL’S last gift, before they became exiles, to the friars, whom they and theirs had always cherished and it was a gift well worthy of such noble givers.
The world, then as now, could push its way to the most hidden homes of men, and sometimes the world found its way to Brantry. The 17th century was a time of unrest for the whole of Ireland and especially for Ulster. War followed war almost without a break and during these troubled years many a fugitive priest and friar and many a hunted layman, made their way through the Brantry woods to the shelter and the welcome of the friary.
In the year 1641 there were 6 members of the Brantry community named O’LOUGHRAN (O’LACHERAN). Owen O’NEILL, with the leading officers of his staff, came hither and slept in the friary for a few hours on the night of the 13th June, 1643. They came from Clones, where they had been defending the creaghts, who, while driving their cattle southwards, had been discovered by Sir Robert and Sir William STEWART, who attacked them with their whole army.
Three years later, in June 1646, there were strained ears and anxious hearts in the Friary of Brantry. From the top of the hill above the convent the friars were watching from early morning of the 5th June, and as they listened they could hear the cries of the soldiers and the noise of the battle, which was being waged by O’NEILL and MONROE at the ford of the Blackwater near Benburb. They could see distinctly the smoke of the musketry as it arose over the field of battle, but they could not know what was being done so near them. Their hearts naturally were with Owen O’NEILL and with his cause- he and his race had been their benefactors during many centuries.
Through good and evil days, the friars continued to live in or near Armagh. At what time they ceased to live there cannot be precisely stated, but in the year 1801 the Primate reports that there were no friars living there.
above from the Ulster Journal of Archaeology Vol. VI 1900
1844 – Godfrey Edward ALEXANDER M.A. Lic. Jan. 30 (D.R)
1848 – Gerald FITZGERALD Lic. April 18 (D.R) A Gerald F. son of Rev. Gerald F. D.D. (afterwards Vice-Provost T.C.D.) ent. T.C.D. 18 June 1790, aged 16. He res. Brantry on Nov. 21 1856
1856 – Huddleston STOKES Lic. Dec. 16 (D.R.) Caius and Gonville Coll. Camb. B.A. (Jun. Opt. and 2nd Class CI. Tripos.) 1854; ord. D. 1854 P. 1856; C. Freshwater, Isle of Wight, 1854-6; res. Brantry Oct. 23 1861; became C. Bembridge, I. of W. 1861-71; V. Newtown, I. of W. 1871-8; V. Wall (Lich.) 1878; afterwards R. Stapleton (Salop); d. at the Croft, Crowthorne, Berks. Aug. 20 1904, aged 72 years
1861 – Andrew Ferguson SMYLY Lic. Nov. 12 (D.R.) Son of John George SMYLY Barrister, ent. T.C.D. as a Fellow Commoner 1849 b. in Dublin, B.A. 1853; M.A. 1862; ord. D. 1854; P. 1855; C. Fahan (Derry) 1856-7; C. Lifford 1857-61; res. Brantry in 1867 for C. Culmore (Derry) 1867-9; R. Aghadoey 1869; R. Drumachose 1880-3; Dean of Derry and R. Templemore (Derry) 1883-97 d. April 1897 buried on Saturday 1st May 1897 had issue a dau, m. Major SMYTHE; a dau. m. B. H. LANE, a dau, m. Rev. Richard KING; brother-in-law of Primate Alexander and Rev. Canon Newlands; was a Member of Diocesan Council of Derry and General Synod.
1867 – Francis Elton FREEMAN Lic. Nov. 19 (D.R.). Son of Francis Gardiner F., b. in Herefordshire, educated by Mr. White, ent. T.C.D. in 1854, aged 20; B.A. 1857; Div. Test. 1858; M.A. 1860; ord. D. 1858; P. 1859; C. Southwick (Durham) 1858-63; C. Reepham 1863-7; C. Shadforth 1869-72; res. Brantry June 16, 1873; C. All Saints, Coventry 1873-5; C. St. Thomas’s, Coventry 1875-7; C. Christ Ch., Coventry 1878-9; C. St. Thomas’s, Westham 1879-82.
1873 – Charles King IRWIN M.A. inst. July 26 (D.R) res. in 1879.
1880 – Samuel BRADSHAW inst. Feb. 20 (D.R) Son of John B. b. in Co. Monaghan ent. T.C.D. in 1862 aged 16, educated by Mr. Rowbotham; B.A. 1868; Eccl. Hist. Prize 1869; M.A. 1873; ord. D. 1869; P. 1870; C. Carnteel 1869-80; d. at Brantry Rectory March 10 1887, aged 40 years.
1887 – Pilsworth Brownrigg BOOKEY M.A. inst. May 21 (D.R.) res. in 1896 for Tartaraghan q.v.
1896 – Henry Gordon Waller SCOTT M.A. inst. Sep. 18 (D.R) res. in 1903 for Creggan. See Tullaniskin.
1903 – Charles King IRWIN jun. inst. Sep. 7 (D.R) Son of Ven. C. King IRWIN Archdeacon of Armagh (see above) b. at Brantry Rectory March 30 1874, ed. at the Royal School Armagh, King’s School, Warwick and T.C.D. B.A. 1896; Div. Test. 1897; M.A. and B.D. 1907; ord. D. 1897; P. 1899; C. Armagh 1897-1903; Provincial Registrar of Armagh 1898 Member of the Diocesan Council and General Synod 1909. Author of Prize Essay on Methods of Episcopal Appointment (Church of Ireland Printing Co. 1909, 8vo, 50 pp.) and Eternal Punishment (S.P.C.K., 1910) m. Jan. 15, 1901, Louisa youngest dau. of Rev. T. H. ROYSE, late R. of Forkill and has issue (1) Charles King b. 1902 (2) Thomas Henry Royse b. 1906 (3) Elizabeth Louisa b. 1907.
Above from ‘Armagh clergy and parishes : being an account of the clergy of the Church of Ireland in the Diocese of Armagh’ by James B. Leslie 1911
The Parish of Brantry
The church was built in Crievelough on the estate of the Earl of Caledon and at the expense of the Countess of Caledon who also built a glebe house, to which Lord Caledon granted a glebe. A new church for the perpetual curacy was created in 1843. The church was consecrated on 13th Sept. 1844 and dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The Communion Plate includes a chalice inscribed ” The gift of John George, Lord Archbishop of Armagh, to the church of Brantry, 1844″ and a flagon and a paten inscribed “Brantry Church, 1844” A brass alms dish bears the inscription “Trinity Church, Brantry 1875”
Records extant- In Incumbent’s possession, under Retention Order,
Brantry Church, Diocese of Armagh, County Tyrone
baptisms 1844-1875; marriages 1845; Burials 1846-1875; the records of which records remain in local custody
The population for the Parish of Brantry in the 1831 census was 2,275; the area in stature acres 4,713; it’s valuation in the rate books £3,435 3s. 6d; and the number of the Electors registered from 1 Jan. 1833 – 31 Dec. 1840 was 32. source- Parliamentary Papers, Vol. 22, 1841
The following are transcribed from the Armagh Guardian, Belfast Morning News, Belfast Newsletter & Belfast Protestant Journal (unless otherwise noted)
23 Jun 1817
A respectable correspondent informs us, that a farmer’s house at a place called Bruntry, near Aughnacloy, was beset a few nights ago, by several armed men apparently for the purpose of plunder. They began very mechanically by cutting round the lock of the front door, which having accomplished, they still found an impediment in an under bar. In the meantime, the farmer alarmed? by the noise of sawing, &c arose and quietly marked their evident intentions, and when one of the party put his hand and arm to draw the bar, he was prepared with a running noose or loose knot of strong rope inside, which he drew tightly on the fellow’s arm and secured him by making the rope fast. The fellow now much alarmed, roared out to his partners that he was caught. They began to run off in a fright, but on his threatening to inform on them if they did not return and release him, they came back but found their was no other way but cutting off the arm. They again fled, but again were so alarmed at his cries and threats, that some of the party returned with fire-arms, and two of them, it was supposed deliberately took aim at him, fired and killed him on the spot. (Telegraph)
5 Nov. 1839 To be sold
A farm in the townland of Brantry, within four miles of Dungannon, containing 6a. 3r. 37p., Irish plantation measure, which is held by lease of three lives (all of which are in being), under the Right Honourable the Earl of Caledon (one of the best of Landlords), at the small yearly rent of £7 8s 10d, and now let to tenants-at-will. Proposals for the farm will be received by the proprietor.
Mr. John MOSSMAN
Mr. George MOSSMAN
or, Mr. MOSSMAN, Donaghmore
The half of the purchase money will be required at the time of sale and the remainder will be allowed to remain in the hands of the purchaser, on approved security. (Northern Whig)
30 May 1843 Married
On the 27th instant, in the Cathedral Clogher, by the Rev. William Storey, Mr. James CHERRY Aughaloo, to Miss Jane KENNEDY of Cauldrum.
23 Feb. 1847 Married
On the 17th inst., in Brantry Church by the Rev. Godfrey Alexander, Wm. BELL Esq., Christian’s town Co. Louth, to Mary, only daughter of Henderson CROZIER Esq., H. P. 22nd Regiment.
23 Oct. 1847 Married
On the 4th ult., in Brantry Church, by the Rev. Mr. Alexander, Sergeant James MORRISON pensioner from her Majesty’s service, to Jane, widow of Francis MILLAR both of Tullycleety Co. Tyrone
4 Feb. 1862 Married
On the 31st Jan., at Brantry Church by the Rev. S. F Smily, Randal ADAMS Esq., of Rhynmount, Co. Longford to Eliza daughter of Nathaniel MAYNE Esq. Lakeview Auchnacloy. (Southern Reporter and Cork Commercial Courier)
4 Feb. 1862 Married
On the 31st Jan., at Brantry Church by the Rev. S. F Smily, Randal ADAMS Esq., of Rhynmount, Co. Longford to Eliza daughter of Nathaniel MAYNE Esq. Lakeview Auchnacloy.
(Southern Reporter and Cork Commercial Courier)
24 Jan. 1863 Farm to Let
that farm of land in the townlands of Cumber and Mullicarnon, on the Estate of the Right Hononrahle the Earl of Caledon, lately held by Mr. Robert MACKIE, containing 205 Statute Acres, exclusive of County roads and plantations, at a rent of £220 per annum. There is an excellent dwelling-house on the farm, and extensive offices, lately erected on the best construction, at cost of £1,000. Also, 4 good labourers Cottages. This farm is situated 3 miles from Caledon, 4 from Aughnacloy, and 6 from Dungannon and close to Brantry Church and Minterburn Presbyterian Meeting House
Application to be made to L. PRENTICE Esq., Caledon (Farmer’s Gazette and Journal of Practical Horticulture)
22 Feb. 1868 Married
On the 11th inst, the Eglish Presbyterian Church, Mr. Thomas BLOOMER of Drain, to Miss Grace REID of Cadian, both of the Co. Tyrone (Newry Telegraph)
12 Nov. 1870 Married
November 1st at Brantry Church by the Rev. Francis Elton Freeman, James youngest son of the late James THOMPSON Cavanaleck, Co, Fermanagh, to Isabella, second daughter of Thomas COWAN Laurel Cottage, Tannagh, Brantry, Co. Tyrone (Belfast Weekly News)
1876 from The Irish Church Advocate, Issue 4; Issue 1140
IRWIN birth – 1876 October 2 at Brantry Glebe, diocese of Armagh the wife of the Rev. Charles King IRWIN Jr. D.D. lncumbent of Brantry of a daughter.
Parish of Brantry – At the commencements recently held in Trinity College Dublin the degrees of B.D. and D.D. were conferred on the Rev. Charles King IRWIN jun. Incumbent of this parish, son of the Rev. Dr. King IRWIN, Rector of Loughgilly and Precentor of Armagh Cathedral. This is a well merited tribute of respect from a number of the clergy of the diocese in consideration of Dr King IRWIN’S gratuitous and devoted services, as finance secretary for many years. It is to be hoped that Dr IRWIN may long enjoy the honours so justly conferred on him.
A handsome pulpit prayer-desk and lecturn have just been erected in Brantry Church. The work is beautifully executed, in pitch-pine varnished The contractor is Mr BURN’S of Cookstown, county Tyrone, whose style of work will rapidly gain him a name. A handsome set of books have also been presented, the gift of past and present Incumbents.
6 Jun 1884 Married
2nd June at Eglish Presbyterian Church by Rev. W. T. Latimer B.A.. William James, eldest son of the late Samuel ANDERSON, Carrowcolman to Sarah Emily, daughter of Robert QUINN, Cadian, Eglish, Dungannon (Derry Journal)
6 April 1888 Brantry Parish
At the Easter vestry held on Easter Monday, the incumbent being in the chair, the following appointments were made –
Churchwardens – Mr. J. COWAN and Mr. J. HENTHORN
Select Vestry-men Messrs. James CADDOO, G. H. MARSHALL, Wm. J. WHITTLE, H. STRINGER, Robert M’ENAMY, John BARBOUR jun., Hugh CADDOO, W. G. BELL J. PLUNKETT, Francis YOUNG, J. HAZELTON, Robert MARSHALL
Parochial Nominators – The Right Hon. the Earl of Caledon, Mr. James CADDOO, Mr. G. H. MARSHALL
Synodsmen – Mr. James CADDOO and Mr. John JOHNSTON
19 March 1892 Soiree and concert
The schoolhouse adjacent to the church (Brantry) was the scene of the interesting event, and the manner in which the building was decorated for the occasion was very creditable to those who took part in the work of adornment. The school was tastefully festooned with evergreens and spanned with an arch composed of the same materials, while the walls were also relieved with a number of hand-some prints, which had the effect of adding to the charming appearance of the room.
Tea was served from eight o’clock, the following ladies presiding at the tables;
Miss MARSHALL, the Misses CHAPMAN, Miss ORR, Miss SHERLOCK, Miss PLUNKETT, Miss M’CRUDDEN, the Misses BLAYNEY Miss YOUNG, Miss OAKEMAN and Miss BARBOUR.
The stewards were – the Messrs. James DAVIDSON, George BLOOMER, John CADDOO, Robert M’NANEY, Robert BLOOMER, J. PARR, D. M’CRUDDEN, Jonathan GARRETT, Joseph BLAYNEY, Robert YOUNG, William John WHITTLE, Charles OAKEMAN, William MILLER, John BARBOUR and David BARBOUR.
Mr. James DAVIDSON’S reading of “Paddy M’Quillan’s Courtship” brought down the house, and a humerous ready by Mr. Robert HARPER was well received.
Rev. David MANDERSON, Minterburn, gave an address.
On the motion of Mr. Craig MITCHELL, seconded by David ROBINSON a vote of thanks passed.
16 Dec. 1892 Church Concert
On Friday evening last, a most successful concert in connection with this church took place in the Brantry Parochial school house. The event was favoured with fine weather, and, consequently there was a numerous attendance of the members of the congregation and their friends. The building which tastefully decorated for the occasion presented an extremely neat and pretty appearance and reflected much credit on the ladles who participated in the work of adornment. Tea was served at 8 o’clock the following ladies providing at the table – Mrs. MARSHALL, Miss M’CUDDEN, Miss M. CHAPMAN, Miss FOY, Miss BLAYNEY, Miss PLUNKET and Miss SHERLOCK.
The stewards were – Messrs’. John CADDOO, DAVIDSON, FARHAM, BLAYNEY, M’CRUDDEN, BARBOUR, M’LAREN, BLOOMER, MARSHALL and M’NANEY.
After tea, the chair was taken by Rev. Pilsworth BOOKEY rector, and the second portion of the business of the evenlng, a musical entertainment, was entered upon. The opening item was a chorus, “Oh, the sports of childhood”, which was nicely given by the choir, whose singing was creditable not only to themselves, but Miss BOOKEY, by whom they were trained.
Rev. S. GAUDEN Coalisland, was loudly applauded for his rendering of “When Sailing” and Miss M. CHAPMAN sang with taste and expression “Twickenham Ferry” with which the audience was so pleased that they demanded an encore, and in response she contributed “Cupid”. Later on she rendered “The Wishing Cap.” and subsequently appeared in the duet “Come o’er the moonlit sea” with Miss J. CHAPMAN, both selections being much appreciated.
Mr. M’CRUDDEN was very successful with his contributions of “Cockles and Mussels” and “I’ll place it in the hands of my solicitor” being sneered? for the latter. Miss FOY, Lisadill, Armagh, was recalled for her singing of “Gathering up the Shells”, which she gave with much taste, and Mr. W. M’GREGOR’S (Belfast) pleasing baritone was heard to advantage in “Rocked to the cradle of the deep”. A feature of the concert was the singing of Mr. G. STUKES? of Caledon, whose comicalities both delighted and amused the audience. This gentleman not only sings with much expression and artistic finish, but the manner in which he dresses and plays his accompaniments enhances his performances. During the evening an address of temperance was delivered by Rev. GAUDEN. Votes of thanks having been accorded to the chairman and Mrs. BOOKEY, Rev. Mr. GUADEN, Mr. STOKES and on the motion of Mr. DAVIDSON, seconded by Mr. M’LAREN, a most enjoyable was brought to a termination. The proceeds of the entertainment will be devoted to the improvement of the lighting of the church. (Tyrone Constitution)
24 June 1893 Earl of Caledon Vs. Patrick HUGHES
This was an ejectment on title recover of quarry in the townland of Cadian. The defendent alleged that the quarry formed a portion of his holding and that judicial rent had been fixed upon it.
Henry C. M’BRIDE C.E. was examined as to measurement of the holding.
Mr HOY said the defendant case that the area of 20a or. 26p. mentioned in the order fixing rent includes the quarry and that the plaintiff could not go behind the order.
Defendant was examined and deposed as to arrangement with Major ALEXANDER. Cross-examined Major ALEXANDER did not expressly say at settlement (for rent?) that the quarry was to be excluded from the holding.
Mr, M’BRIDE went at fixing the rent to measure the place to see whether the quarry was measured in the land. Major ALEXANDER admitted the quarry was in holding. Was not present when M’BRIDE was out.
To His Worship an agreement was drawn up at fixing of rent What was said was that there would be nominal rent.
Major ALEXANDER denied this.
Mr. HOY said it was corroborated by files in the Court,
Hi Worship said he would let the case stand over on the question of jurisdiction until Tuesday. (Tyrone Courier)
5 Oct. 1894
A few evenings ago, a social meeting was held in the schoolhouse, Brantry (Dungannon), for the purpose of bidding farewell to Miss M. CHAPMAN, who has left the parish on being appointed organist of Magherafelt church and to take charge of the parochial female national school. After tea, which was served to the numerous company, Rev. Pilsworth BOOKEY, rector, took the chair and in introducing the proceedings, said that he had always great pleasure in presiding at any entertainment in Brantry schoolhouse, but on that occasion the pleasure was mixed with regret, as it was a farewell entertainment to Miss CHAPMAN. The Brantry church choir had given the entertainment in honour of Miss Chapman, as a slight mark of their appreciation of the zeal and energy which she invariably displayed in having them for choral festivals, and for their duties in the ordinary services of the church. He also wished to express his own appreciation of the taste with which Miss CHAPMAN rendered those portions of the musical service which had devolved upon her and of the ability with which she seconded Mrs. BOOKEY’S efforts to improve their church music. (Applause.) It only remained for him to wish Miss CHAPMAN on their behalf and his own success and every blessing in her new sphere of labour in Magherafelt. In conclusion, he would ask them to give Miss CHAPMAN’s successor, Miss POWER, a hearty welcome to Brantry parish. (Applause.) During the evening an interesting programme of vocal and instrumental music was rendered, in which Mrs. BOOKEY, Miss M. CHAPMAN. Miss J. CHAPMAN, Mr. D. M’CRUDDEN and Mr. T. NIMMONS took part.
The tea-makers were – Mrs. BOOKEY, the Misses SHERLOCK, Miss FOY, Miss PLUNKET, the Misses M’CRUDDEN and Miss BLANEY and the following officiated as stewards;
John CADDOO, J. BLANEY, David BARBOUR and W. FOY
19 Sept. 1896 Caledon Petty Sessions
James REID, Cadian, summoned Patrick M’MULLAN of same townland for obstructing complainant in the execution of his work as a road contractor at Cadian 9th September last, contrary to14 and 15 Vic., cap. 93, sub sec. 7.
Mr. W. J. IRWIN, Dungannon appeared for complainant.
Complainant examined. From evidence it appeared that he had contracted to put a fence between the county read and defendants flax dam. In order to do so it was neccesary to let the water out of the flax dam for the purpose of making a proper foundation. Defendant refused to allow the water to be drained off and shoved complainant away when he sought to do so.
Mr. J. W. LEEBODY County Surveyor was examined for complainant and proved that it was neccesary to have the flax dam drained in order to make the foundation and that complainant could not carry out his contract until it would be done.
The defence said that at the Presentment Sessions complainant gave an undertaking not to interfere with the drain. Complainant denied the statement. The court fined defendant 2s. 6d and warned him not to interfere with complainant in the execution of his work, otherwise the full penalty will be enforced. (Mid-Ulster Mail)
8 Jan. 1898 Married
Dec. 29th at Eglish Presbyterian Church by the Rev. W. T. Latimer B.A.. Annie Elizabeth, youngest daughter of James REID Cadian, Eglish, Dungannon, to Brlce, third son of Brice GALWAY, Magherafelt.
10 Jun 1898 For Sale By Auction
I am instructed by Mr. James M’CAUL (who is giving up farming) to sell by auction, his interest in that farm of land in Crievelough, containing 60a. 0r. 0p, statute measure, held under the representatives of the late Earl of Caledon yearly judicial rent of £24. The farm is in a high state of cultivation, is well watered and fenced, and all left out in suitable sized fields, with 7 Acres of permanent meadow. There is a comfortable dwelling house with ample of supply of out-offices, two storey high and slated, on the holding, which offers a desirable investment to intending purchasers. This farm is most conveniently situated adjacent to the county road, and within 5 minutes walk of Brantry church, which is 5 miles from Dungannon, 4 miles from Caledon and Aughnacloy. All rent will be paid up to 1st May 1898.
After sale of farm, will be sold the entire crop in lots, or the purchaser can have valuation, which consists of severel acres of Oats, Potatoes, Turnips, Forced-Grass and Meadow. Stock- 4 good cows, 6 one year-old bullocks, 4 two year-old heifers, farming horse, good carts, cart harness, double and single harrows, drill plough, grubber. back-rope and chains, Box barrow, and many other articles highly useful for farming purposes, but too numerous for detail.
Sale on Monday, 20th June 1898, 11 o’clock
Terms £40 deposit on land at time of sale, balance to be paid according to Terms and Conditions at Sale.
Stock – Prompt Cash with usual Auction fees.
All Else – 4 Months credit on bills approved or 1s in the £ allowed for cash, with 5 per cent fees
John M’CANN Auctioneer valuer
5 April 1906 Serious Accident at Caledon
On Sunday evening, when a young man named Harry M’KENNA, residing at Tullynashane, close to Caledon, was cycling at Brantry Church, owing to the brakes refusing to act, he lost control of the machine and it descended a steep and dangerous hill with great velocity. It collided with a gate at the foot of the hill and M’KENNA was pitched on his head and received very severe injuries. He was unconscious when picked up and was immediately taken to the surgery of Dr. PATTERSON Caledon, who put seven stitches in his head. He lies in a precarious condition.
22 Jul. 1909 Funeral the late Mr. Thomas STOCKDALE, Rehaghey, Aughnacloy.
The announcement of the death of this respected farmer was received on Sunday last with feelings of profound regret. The deceased had been ailing for only 6 days and was attended by Dr. PRINGLE, Aughnacloy. He passed away at his residence on 18th inst., surrounded by his family of 12 children and, 13 grandchildren. The deceased was very highly respected in the neighbourhood and was a Select vestryman in Brantry Parish church. The funeral took place on Tuesday at 2 o’clock for interment in the family burying ground at Brantry church. The remains were enclosed in a massive oak coffin which bore the following inscription;
died 18th July 1909
Aged 65 Years
Divine service was conducted in Brantry Church by the Rev. C. King IRWIN when the 90th Psalm was read. A short service was also held at the graveside. The chief mourners were Charles STOCKDALE (brother); George, Thomas J., Charles, and Samuel STOCKDALE (sons); William C. STOCKDALE Jas. INGLIS, Wm. J. BEATTY, Thos. J. PLUNKETT, and W. ALLEN (nephews); Robert WILLIAMSON, William CLARKE, William BLOOMER, and John WILLIAMSON (sons-in-law). The attendance of the general public was very large and included all the neighbours and many mourners from a distance who drove in vehicles. The funeral undertaking was carried out by Mr. GALBRAITH, Aughnacloy. (Tyrone Courier)
1914-1919 Parich Church of Brantry War Memorial
To the Glory of God and the memory of the following men, who fell in the Great War.
Pte. R. J. ARTHURS
Pte. W. D. DUNWOODY
Pte. R. M’SHANE
Pte. G. MARSHALL
Pte. J. HOLLAND
Pte. J. STEVENSON
Pte. J. TAGGART
Sgt. J. ARTHURS
Pte. W. MORROW
L/Cpl. T. MARSHALL
Pte. W. M’SHANE
Pte. W. CAMPBELL
Pte. J. REID
Pte. J. FENWICK
Nurse M. E. CADDOO
page compiled and transcribed by Teena from said sources