Original Rootsweb Co. Tyrone Community Site
Pigot's Directory of Newtonstewart 1824


CoTyroneHeadstone_logo (5K)
Click banner to submit/search the Project!
Pigot's Directory of Newtonstewart 1824

Original Transcription Author
Teena




Newtownstewart is a small neat town in the county of Tyrone, pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Strule, which, about two miles below, forms a junction with the Derg, and then changing its name to Mourne, proceeds on and empties itself into the Foyle at Lifford; in this river there is a great abundance of salmon, trout etc. It is 92 miles north-north-west of Dublin, seven north-north-west of Omagh, seven south south-west of Strabane and 19 south of Londonderry. Adjoining the town there are the remains of an old castle, about the date of the erection of which history is silent: and at the bottom of the Main Street are the ruins of a castle which James II slept in on his march to the Seige of Derry, in the year of 1690; a few days after he returned, and destroyed it by fire. At the upper end of the town stands the church, a small, but neat stone edifice with a high spire, from which there is a fine view of the surrounding country; the present rector is Rev Richard H. Nash. Besides the church there are two Methodist, and one Presbyterian meeting house, and a Catholic chapel. The charitable institutions are a dispensary, and a Protestant and a Methodist Sunday school. About three miles from the town is Baron's Court Castle, the magnificent mansion of the Marquis of Abercorn. The market day is Monday; the fairs are held on March 28th, June 2nd, October 10th and December 11th. The population is about 700.

NOBILITY, GENTRY AND CLERGY
Burgoyne Sir John James, Baronscourt
Campbell John, Esq., Cottage
Colhoune Crawford, Esq., Cross
Corn Thomas, Esq.
Crawford Major Jones
McFarland Armour, Esq., Straree
Nash Rev. R. H., rector, Moyle House
Noble, William, Esq., Deer Park
Rice Rev. Edward William, curate
Stirling Rev. Edward R., Gortin

POST OFFICE
Postmistress: Miss Sarah Hamilton

The Dublin Mail is despatched at five minutes past eleven in the morning, and arrives at half past two in the afternoon. Letters for Omagh and Castlederg go with the Dublin Mail. The Mails for Strabane and Derry depart at half past two in the afternoon. Letters for England and Scotland go by the Dublin Mail.

MERCHANTS, TRADESMEN ETC
PROFESSIONAL GENTLEMEN
Irvine John, surgeon, RN., Deer Park
McConnell James, surgeon, RN.
Osborne John, surgeon RN. (and to the dispensary)
Rogers George, surgeon,

MERCHANTS
Adams Andrew, (linen)
Boyce Samuel, (linen)
Gill Jeremiah, (linen)
Mathewson Lavens

PUBLICANS
Donaughy Michael
Fulton Benjamin
Hamilton Sarah, Hotel
Leard John
McConnell William
McElrea James
McFeeters William
McMackin James
McMenamin William
McPhilomy John
Stark James
Wilson Henry
Wright Alexander, King's Arms

SHOPKEEPERS, TRADERS ETC
Anderson Robert, grocer
Barton, Irvine & King, manufacturers of spades and shovels
Beatty John, earthenware dealer
Crawford Andrew, clerk of the parish
Eakin A, saddler and harness maker
Kerr James, grocer
McDonnell Rebecca, milliner
McElrea James, baker
McFeeters William, baker
Marshall Samuel, grocer
Morrison William, baker
O'Kane John, grocer
Speer Samuel, watch and clock maker
White David, leather seller
White Humphrey, leather seller
Wright Rebecca & Mary, milliners



Return to County Tyrone's Home Page